I am not really big on New Year resolutions- I feel like you can change anytime, regardless of the date on the calendar. With that said, I do always like to use the New Year as a time to reflect and think about some of the things I want to accomplish in the upcoming year.
- I think I finished all of three books this year. Sad. I need to make reading more of a priority and do something with the stack of unread books next to my bed! The goals is one book a month and do review the said book on the blog as a way to keep myself accountable. I should probably get started on January!
- Write more. Duh. Kind of the point of picking up the blog again!
- I have been making it a point to take one or two trips a year for the last few years, and I definitely want to keep up the traveling this year! I absolutely love to travel and prefer to spend money on experiences, not things.
- Last August, I gave up sugar. Completely for the first weeks, with the exception to natural sugars in fresh fruits and veggies. Then, I stayed very low sugar, only treating myself a few times over the course of four months. It was SO HARD but I definitely felt a hundred times better. A fun side effect was a decent amount of weight loss, but the best part was how good I felt. Over my winter break, I fell hard off the wagon. Like, face first into the ground. So. Much. Sugar. This past week, I have gone back to weaning myself off and I am feeling the struggle. However, knowing how great I felt before, I am re-committed 100%. I truly believe sugar is the real problem and know without question it is the best healthy lifestyle choice I can make for myself.
- I have been working really hard over the past few years to put away a decent savings. Not easy, as it seems every time I get to a comfortable place, something decides to break in my house. Plus, I have a list that keeps getting longer of things I want to do to make home improvements. However, I made huge improvements in paying off debt and I want to use the “extra” to keep up the savings.
- I tend to be really conservative with my money when it comes to splurging on myself, but as important as it is to save, I also think it is important to spend. (See above: experiences over things.)
- Donating isn’t just about money. I give to quite a few charities and I am happy to do so, but I want to make more of an effort to donate my time. Everyone gets the same amount of hours in the day, and I hope to use more of mine in ways that help others this year.
- I spend way too much time on screens, between my phone and my computers at both work and home. It is simply not healthy and often unnecessary. I need to get better about shutting down and shutting off. Too many of my 24 hours are spent looking at a screen. Those hours could be better serving my desires to volunteer, read, or you know…relax!
- I have this cute little tab up at the top of my blog listing all of these things I want to do; there’s no real time frame but I have a few in mind I would like to complete this year.
- Shit or get off the pot. For real. It is high time I stop just talking and start just doing. I spend too much time worried about how my decisions would affect others; that is sweet of me, but I have to start thinking of my own long term future. I need to get comfortable with the uncomfortable and just do it. (I make it sound good, right?!?)
I also like to give some words of advice to others for a successful New Year:
- When having a discussion, don’t use Google to support your facts. Ah, critical thinking,what the olden days were like!
- Cut people out of your life who you truly do not like and add people who you truly do. Note: On Earth, not just Facebook.
- Enough with detoxing and juicing and cleansing and pills. If you want to lose a little weight quickly, eat less and exercise like crazy. If you want to lose a lot of weight slowly, do yourself a favor and make a lifestyle change.
- Volunteer at least once over the next 90 days. Don’t tell social media about it.
- Tell those you love that you love them on a more regular basis. To their face, not in an email or text.
- Back up your photos. And take more of them no matter what you look like!
- Please stop liking the Kardashians. All of them.
- Shit or get off the pot. This applies to whatever thing you’re not doing that you should just sack up and do already. I’ll try to practice what I preach!